Try Out This Great Vegetarian Diet for Weight Loss
Adopting a vegan or vegetarian diet produces amazing results not just for those who want to shed extra calories but also for cleansing the system in general. A vegetarian diet for weight loss holds the primary objective of shedding body fat in a healthy and effective manner. However, it must be observed that a wrong vegan diet can fetch you unfavorable results. Hence, it is important to know the dos and don’ts even when you are on a vegetarian weight loss diet.
Tips to follow for a vegetarian weight loss diet
1. It is important to include a wide variety of food in your routine diet so that you offer holistic nutrition to your body. Hence, choose from legumes, whole grains, fruits, vegetables, seeds, nuts and dairy products.
2. Unrefined foods are the most ideal and especially those with no fat and sugar should replace foods that are heavily sweetened and refined. The latter induces weight gain and the former is conducive to those who want to shed body fat.
3. Focus on light eating. If you consume dairy products like milk and cheese; shift to low fat varieties or better still you can do away with them. If your concern is calcium, it is not necessarily obtained from milk or other dairy products. You can also get them from plant sources such as dark leafy greens that are equally rich in calcium.
4. Vitamin B-12 and Vitamin D are essential in a typical vegetarian weight loss diet. Sun is the natural source of Vitamin D and having adequate exposure to early morning sunlight is the best way to derive this vitamin.
5. If you are on a low calorie diet, good quality mineral and multi-vitamin supplement must be incorporated to obtain complete nutrition.
6. Following a vegetarian diet requires consultation from a nutrition expert especially if you are a pregnant woman or are breast feeding or are recuperating from illness.
Successful vegetarian weight loss dietsFor a quick snack or meal, you can choose to munch on a cup of tossed salad devoid of fat free dressing. A vegetarian burger with whole grain bun comprising of tomatoes and lettuce plus a cup of soy milk and an orange is another option. For a full meal, you can choose from more than one option: One whole wheat pita and half cup falafel, a cup of soy milk and a cup of cucumber salad or a cup of squash soup; vegetable stock replacing chicken broth and tofu instead of cream. You could also try two slices of whole grain bread with peanut butter spread of just one tablespoon and a cup of soy yogurt with half cup of apple sauce.
The world famous General Motors diet is also a popular vegetarian choice for weight loss. Spread over a period of seven days, the diet is approved and followed by millions across the world. It is important to consume ten glasses of water every day while on this diet. The first day begins with eating only fruits except bananas. Cantaloupe and watermelons are the best during the first 24 hours. The second day involves eating only raw or cooked vegetables. Day three combines fruits and vegetables in any amounts except bananas and potatoes.
Day four includes eight bananas, three glasses of milk and one bowl of vegetable soup. On the fifth day, you will include one cup rice, six tomatoes and twelve glasses of water. Day six is again any amount of vegetables plus one cup rice. Finally, on day seven, you can eat one cup rice, all vegetables and fruit juice. The diet guarantees a total loss of five to eight kilograms at the end of seven days.