10 Ways to Make New Friends
Socializing is an important part of our lives and you need to have friends in order to survive in the society. One cannot hope to make it alone in the world without any company as friends share our joys and sorrows and live a part of our lives. A life without friends is full of misery and boredom, and one might love solitude and peace of being alone but the benefits of having a lot of people around you are much more than the benefits of being alone. Listed here are a few ways to make new friends.
1. Join an organizationThere is no better way to start making friends than joining an organization or a group where you meet different people whom you will work with for quite some time. You can start off by joining a club, or you might try joining social networking websites like Facebook as they give you a great chance to meet and discover new people.
2. Talk to peopleJoining a club or organization won’t get you friends if you don’t start talking. And it’s not really important that you have to be associated with an organization, you can start talking with the people whom you meet in daily life, like the librarian or the local bartender and might end up striking friendship.
3. Start a conversationYou can start a conversation by talking about the environment of the particular place or the current news or topics which are going on and then continuing it with a related topic of the same subject.
4. Get together or meet againIf you have met someone and have acquainted yourself with the person, you can keep in contact and get together for a meeting or party to further your relationship.
5. Listen more and talk lessThis is the most important thing if you want to earn respect and trust with the other person as listening to what he/she says shows that you are interested in him/her and are ready to be his/her friend.
6. Encourage your friendYou should support your friend in his/her good and bad times and not make fun of him/her in front of others as he/she won’t like it. This can be done by encouraging him/her to pursue their interests.
7. Be trustworthy, reliable and a good friendFriendship comes with its burdens and you should be ready to take them on your shoulders. Being a friend to someone needs you to keep the secrets as it earns you their trust, and a good friend will support his/her friend in all matters and help him/her out in need. Doing small things like remembering birthdays and doing some activities to please your friend are some things which should be done in order to sustain friendship.
8. Eye contactAlways remember to make eye contact and smile while in the middle of a conversation because that signals that you are interested in the person and you are ready to continue conversing further.
9. Introduce yourself at the end of conversationAfter you have had a conversation with a person, make sure to introduce yourself to that person and he/she will respond likewise. These small methods of communication show that you are willing to be a true friend.
10. Don’t pressurize people to be friends with youAfter you have met a person for the first time, you might end up meeting each other again and he/she might not respond to you in a very well manner as some people cannot adjust with everyone. Take things slowly and see if the person is still interested in you, and he/she will eventually come up to you in case he/she likes you.