8 Benefits of Green Beans
Snap beans, French beans, string beans, green beans or more scientifically, Phaseolus vulgaris; call them whatever you want, but you can’t ignore them when the subject is good health. The health benefits of green beans are many, out of which a few have been compiled below to convince you to include these tender legumes in your diet more often.
1. Sugar level controlWho needs protein shakes, when green beans are here to provide you a good amount of protein, all naturally. When cooked right, this protein helps you to regulate sugar level in the blood. So, green beans provide diabetics and people with hypoglycemia a reason to be merrier.
2. Digestion enhancementFor those of you who are not blessed with a very strong digestive system, green beans can be a boon. They contain dietary fiber which can be your natural laxative and also help you to reduce blood cholesterol levels.
3. Healthy heartGreen beans can be your ride to a healthy heart. With the folic acid they contain, they make for a healthy choice of food for heart patients.
4. Young bodyIf that didn’t get your attention, hopefully this will. It has come to light that green beans actually have a high concentration of antioxidants, and we all know what they are right? So if you want a healthier, younger body for a long time, start eating those green things right away!
5. Strong immunityThey also happen to have considerable share of vitamin-B6, vitamin-B1, and vitamin-C. They help make your immunity stronger and remove the oxygen free radicals which can damage the DNA.
6. Efficient metabolismGreen beans are a treasure when it comes to iron, potassium, calcium, manganese and magnesium, which are very essential for your body’s metabolism. Another score for the beans!
7. Kidney stone dissolversDue to their high fiber content, green beans are also considered beneficial for kidney stones. The fiber helps in dissolving the stones naturally.
8. Less calorie intakeIf you are the one to count every calorie you intake, consider green beans to be your best friends. Fresh green beans have very few calories, no saturated fat and highly rich in vitamins, minerals, and plant derived micronutrients.
So you can boil them, steam them or eat them half-cooked, they are going to taste delicious either way! The Internet is filled with millions of recipes that will allow you to enjoy the benefits of green beans. Just grab a bag of these ‘greenies’ and start cooking!